We are a community samba percussion & dance group in Hertfordshire that specialises in Brazilian Carnival Rhythms. We’re based in Letchworth Garden City and since January 2011, we’ve been been running weekly classes from 7 to 9 pm at a local venue.
We provide training and development opportunities in samba drumming & dance and general training in Brazilian carnival percussion/music & dance skills which is accessible to everybody regardless of their age, cultural background, economic circumstances or prior music experience.
We currently have an age range from 8 to 80 years old, including some families, most of whom had no musical background before joining.
We create a friendly and supportive learning environment where people can discover new skills, be part of a music & dance ensemble and make new friends.
We aim to foster a sense of community pride through regular performances at local events and to promote Letchworth when performing outside the local area.
– to be an inclusive group, attracting people of all ages, from all walks of life and from different cultural and economic backgrounds.
– to provide training in Brazilian percussion & dance for all levels of ability and to inform members of Brazilian culture.
– to create a safe, supportive and enjoyable learning environment where members can develop their technical, music, dance and performance skills.
– to ensure that being a member of Garden City Samba is beneficial in increasing confidence and personal development.
– to enhance a feeling of community pride in the Garden City by performing at local events and representing our town further afield.